Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer Soup

For our anniversary a few weeks ago, Ryan and I went to our favorite local restaurant. For my appetizer, I had an amazing cucumber avocado soup with some peach and corn salsa. It was so refreshing and delicious, we knew we had to try to make some version of it. Of course, I decided to make it last night, which was probably the coolest night we've had all summer, and therefore the only night we wouldn't have minded turning on the stove, but I can't really complain about a no-cook dinner right?

CUCUMBER AVOCADO SOUP WITH CRAB
I made enough for two, and felt that perhaps the soup to crab ratio was a bit off. I didn't mind at all when I was eating it. I'm giving you a doubled soup recipe, so there'll be enough for four smallish soups (or two with leftovers), but what you do with the crab is up to you.

INGREDIENTS:
I used 1/2 lb jumbo lump crabmeat. You could use this much for four people, if you wanted the focus on the soup. Or you could use more.

2 ripe avocados
3 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
2 T red onion
2 t seeded jalepeno
4 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (this would have been two whole lemons for me)
6 T plain yogurt (I used low fat)
2 T water
2 T olive oil
a bit of chopped tomato as garnish (optional)
hot sauce as garnish if you like (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
Carefully pick through the crab and remove any hard bits. Jumbo lump won't have many, so you shouldn't have too much work to do. Chop the avocado and cucumber roughly and put them in a blender with the red onion, jalepeno, lemon juice, yogurt, water and oil. Process until smooth. I put mine through a strainer, partially because I put in two bits of cucumber with skin before I decided to peel it, but if you like your texture, feel free to skip the straining. Chill the soup. Top with crabmeat and a bit of tomato and a drizzle of hot sauce if you like.

2 comments:

JMLC said...

So fancy!

Tepary said...

Okay, that sounds completely scrumptious. This years cucumbers have tasted really bitter to me though. Not sure what is going on. It might be my taste buds though because I had the same problem in Ireland.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails